Tuesday, February 20, 2007

AUTHOR AND PUBLISHER

Years ago, probably 1986 or 1987, while working as CEO for Penguin NZ at the time that Senior Editor John Barnett and I were getting the New Zealand publishing programme established, (Penguin NZ had been solely a book distribution company prior to that), I was due to make my annual trip to the head office of the company in London when word came through asking me to call on the recently established Penguin India in New Delhi. I had not previously been to India so was delighted to have this diversion from my normal direct travel to the U.K.

I had a fascinating week in New Delhi where I was hosted by the newly appointed Publisher David Davidar, a young, handsome, energetic, generous and charming man. He and I had a most productive time together from a company point of view and on the personal side of things he ensured I saw many of New Delhi’s special places as well as organising a day trip to Agra to visit the astonishing Taj Mahal and the nearby Red Fort. He also introduced me to the Mark Tully, the BBC's long-time Indian correspondent, an author in his own right and a man much revered in India. We had most interesting discussions over a meal at Mark's home where he served us goat and roast vegetables which he managed to convince me was lamb!
That week in New Delhi was one of the great weeks of my life.

When I left I had an extra suitcase in which were six or so bulky manuscripts to deliver to London; these were later to become Penguin India’s first publishing.

Those were in the days before e-mail, I left Penguin in 1988 to join Scholastic, and David and I lost touch. Then in 2002 he came back into my orbit with his novel “The House of Blue Mangoes”, a great read which went on to become a best-seller worldwide. His second novel will be published later this year.

And now I have received the following press release from Penguin Canada.




"We are indeed fortunate to have a wonderful publishing executive ready to assume the role of President and Publisher of Penguin Group Canada. David Davidar will transition into his new position over the next three months and take on full responsibility for the Group on May 1, 2007.

David joined the Canadian company three years ago after nearly twenty years with Pearson in India. Before he was transferred in January of 2004, he was Group CEO of Pearson India (which comprises Penguin Books India, Pearson Education India and Dorling Kindersley India). David began his publishing career in his mid-twenties as one of the founding members of Penguin India. Beginning modestly with an investment of US$10,000 and a list of six titles in 1987, Penguin India is now Asia’s largest English language consumer publishing house, publishing over 200 new books a year. The Penguin India list includes some of the best known Indian authors (and authors who write about India) in the world.

In addition to his expertise as a publishing executive, David is a best-selling author. His first novel, The House of Blue Mangoes, was published around the world in Spring 2002. It was translated into 16 languages and sold over 100,000 copies (it was on bestseller lists in Canada, India, France, the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore). It featured on the Amazon Hot 100 list and was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year, and a Booksense ‘76 pick. His second novel, The Solitude of Emperors, will be published in the Fall of 2007.

For the last three years David, in his role as Publisher of Penguin Group Canada, has revitalized the Canadian indigenous publishing programme. During 2006 the gross sales of the Canadian list grew by a remarkable 23.2% and exceeded our most optimistic profit targets. David and his team have positioned Penguin Canada at the forefront of Canadian trade publishing."



Congratulations David. I hope one day our paths will cross again and in the meantime I await publication of your second novel with some impatience!

No comments: