Wednesday, August 01, 2007

MONTANA WINNERS & LOSERS

My post under this heading yesterday has drawn forth a large number of e-mail responses and several phone calls.

In my remarks I lamented two omissions from the shortlist in the Lifestyle & Contemporary Culture category, Landscape Paintings of New Zealand and Maps New Zealand.

It has now been pointed out to me that these two titles were in fact nominated by their publishers in the Illustrative category.

This category must have been one of the year’s most demanding categories for the judges. Of the Illustrative category finalists, Julia Morison is magnificent and Lake of Coal is a rare jewel of its type, but all in the category would clearly have struggled against Eagle’s.
It was certainly an exceptional year for Illustrative titles, and clearly there were hard knocks for some excellent contenders including the two I mentioned.

2 comments:

Kebabette said...

Thanks for your commentary on the Montanas. It has been the best coverage I have seen, interesting and informative.

Beattie's Book Blog said...

Thank you kebabette, much appreciated.