Wednesday, February 06, 2008

BOOKSELLER TO OFFER DIGITAL OPTION

I missed the story in The Dominion back on 21 January so apologies for its late appearance but it is a significant development and I figure better a couple of weeks late than not at all!


Some Dymocks customers say they may turn over a new leaf in their book-buying habits when the chain introduces kiosks dispensing digital books.
A Dymocks store in Sydney is trialling touch-screen kiosks that dispense digital books. Customers can download the titles to USB sticks, DVDs, iPods and Dymock's own e-reader, the iLiad - a portable electronic notebook.

Dymocks New Zealand general manager Andrew Howard says the kiosks will come to New Zealand stores but he does not yet know when.
"The plan for the entire network of Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong is to have kiosks in every store."

Demand in Australia has been "significantly higher than expected", requiring a second shipment of iLiads, which sell for A$899 (NZ$1028).
Dymocks is expecting a similar response in New Zealand.
Customers at Dymocks Lambton Quay store in Wellington were open-minded.

Ismael Machuca, a 33-year-old software developer, says he would consider buying digital books.
"If I had something I could carry around easily then I probably would think about it. It depends on the kind of book I guess, if it's reference stuff it's probably easier in digital format ... I do have piles of books hanging around at home, this would be an easy way to avoid that."

Carrie Baylis, a 30-year-old personal assistant, says she prefers paper to digital.
"I prefer having an actual book, it's easier on the eyes. I'd want something I can read on the train."
Some of her more technology-minded friends would be interested, she says.

"My boyfriend would probably be interested but it's not my thing," says 36-year-old yoga instructor Megan Collier. "He reads the paper online but I'd rather have it in my hand.
"If I did buy books digitally, maybe I'd buy reference books but for art books it's better to have them for the coffee table."

Bank officer Russell Briant, 45, says he would buy digital books, but less frequently than paper ones. "I still find reading paper books more practical than reading digital books."

Dymocks Lambton Quay franchise owner Bruce Caddy says the kiosks may be best suited to inner-city stores, at first.
"We're a central-city store and have a reasonable computer section, and IT departments, insurance companies and banks nearby. These people are used to working with computers and doing things online. They'd probably be the first to take advantage of downloading books."
Mr Howard says 135,000 Dymocks titles are available in digital format. Customers in Sydney can also download audio-books to their iPods. Dymocks does not expect digital sales to detract from hardcopy sales, he says.
Photo above also from The Dominion.

No comments: