Sunday, June 08, 2008


THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY

I reviewed this book in November 2007 and can still recall how moved I was at the time by the astonishing story. Well today, on a clear cool Auckland winter day we went to the Bridgeway Cinema on Northcote Point and saw the movie.
It is of course the remarkable true story of Jean-Dominique Bauby, the highly successful, charasmatic editor of French Elle, in the prime of his life when struck down by a stroke.
To say that I was deeply affected by the movie would be an understatement. I found myself hugely emotionally involved and on the verge of tears on several occasions. No wonder it was a Golden Globe winner as well as being nominated for four Academy Awards.
Superb movie with outstanding acting performances.
And a special mention for the actor who played the cameo role of Bauby's aged father, and for the sound track. Congratulations to all involved.

No comments: