Thursday, June 05, 2008

SPORT 36
New Zealand New Writing
Winter 2008

The latest issue of SPORT (is it the biggest yet?) will be in your favourite bookstore on 13 June.
It is chock-a-block with wonderful new writing.
Some wonderful poetry from David Beach (love his Te Aro sequence), Bernadette Hall, Andrew Johnston, Lynn Davidson, Geoff Cochrane and a host of others.

My favourite poem though comes from Wellington-based teacher and poet Saradha Koirala; here it is:

I Once Lived By Myself in a Tree-house

I once lived by myself in a tree-house near a tunnel.
I wove my nest in red and yellow
and lined it with patchwork squares.

Everything was tiny: the teapot, the stove, my spoons,
the corners of used envelopes
I composed notes on for the morning.

Perched above a bus stop, the windows rattled
with the idling number 12.
Engine crescendos threaded through my dreams.

Eventually I sellotaped a cut-out heart to my spare key
and gave it to you.
You kept it in the coin-part of your wallet
and knocked each night on my tiny front door.
Apologies to both poet and publisher for the line gaps within the four verses. I can't figure out how to overcome that.

No comments: