Thursday, September 11, 2008

WHAT WAS I THINKING ABOUT?

Walking past Unity Books Auckland the other day, on my way to a book launch, I thought to myself as I am a few minutes early I’ll just pop in and have a look around the shelves.
On my way out feeling pleased with myself because I had remained empty-handed I spied a book near the counter, The Joy of Reading, so I stopped to check it out and before you could say Jack Robinson I had bought it and I was on my way.

I know I shouldn’t have bought that book, I have so many titles already that I am meant to be reviewing that they will last me until at least Christmas.

But how could I resist a book with such a title? And then there is the surtitle – A Passionate Guide to 189 of the World’s Best Authors and Their Works.

Then there was the price, US24.95 but NZ$35 – a bargain especially as it is a gorgeous handsome hardcover. And it is a 2008 publication, not some tired old remainder title.

Then I read the back cover blurb, inside to the opening paragraph, he even provides a 10 year reading plan! By now there was no way I could not buy that book even though it will probably sit on my shelf unread for some considerable while.

I should not be allowed in bookshops unaccompanied!

3 comments:

Matthew Bartlett said...

Looks delicious – all except for the word 'passionate'. Ick!

Vanda Symon said...

Self-control Mr Beattie, self-control (-;

Anonymous said...

I thought the author's name rang a bell so I googled - Charles Van Doren was in a famous television quiz show scandal in America in the 50s. A film made about it called Quiz Show featured Ralph Fienes as Charles.