Wednesday, February 04, 2009

SPECTATOR AUSTRALIA

I know I have enthused about this “new” magazine previously but I have to say again what a delight it is for me to be able to buy The Spectator in the week it is published in the UK, with a 12 page Aussie section, AND for NZ$7.95. Hooray!

The issue of 31 January, 2009 which I devoured today while drinking two coffees at the divine Agnes Curran Café is full of interesting stuff including a page by Joan Collins on Obama-mania and loads of book reviews but three stories in particular stood out for me:

My Memories of the American Dostoevsky – a terrific piece on John Updike by South African born, British novelist Justin Cartwright (pic left)

And

A floral shrine and an aspiring publisher made me ashamed of my unkindness – a confession by Matthew Parris, a columnist for The Times.

And

Contemporary flavours are really ancient Greece – a homage to Melbourne’s Greek food by Australian food writer extraordinaire Jill Dupleix (pic right)

The Spectator Australia is consistently filled with excellent writing and I warmly commend it to readers of this blog. Life for me would be poorer without it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just been out and bought a copy, laast week's too actually, and I agree it is full of excellent writing. Thanks for the tip.