Friday, March 20, 2009

THE BOOKMAN TRIES OUT KINDLE 2
A Californian friend flew in to NZ last evening and loaned me his Kindle Two to play with for a week while he is away down country visiting family.

I have to say it is very hard not to be impressed by both the extremely slender size and the sheer sophistication of its applications. It is to say the least totally seductive. I cannot of course download anything, you can only do that in the US, but I can read the various books and magazines that my friend has on it and today I have lost about three hours playing with it and mravelling at the technology.

I do own an I-Pod Touch which is also an impressive little gadget although a lot smaller than the Kindle and of course it has colour! For fun I downloaded Wind in the Willows which along with hundreds of other literary classics is available free in this format. It is all great fun but I would still rather read the actual book. However I feel the need to try and keep in touch with technological change and that it what I have been doing and enjoying today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh... I so want to give play, I mean investigate the technical features of those devices....

Anonymous said...

I've only handled a 1st gen. Kindle. It's a good tho' guarded info source - but trumped by netbooks. Frankly, calling it an 'ebook' is a stupidity - it cant replace books per se. All it does is offer 'print options' - in a very expensive format.