Monday, June 29, 2009

STOP PRESS - THE BOOKMAN HAS A SWIM !!


i'm not sure when I last pullled on the swimmers and took a plunge? Probably three years ago when I was last up this way? I never swim in NZ or Australia, the water is never warm enough for me, it takes me hours to recover, but here the air temperature is 31C (and humid) the water temp must be 27C or so, like a luke warm bath really, and I can happily swim up and down the gorgeous pool here at the Twin Palms Resort Hotel (it should really be called the 1000 Palm Resort Hotel) for half an hour or so and not a sign of getting cold. Love it!


Carrying out an an informal surbvey around the pool I can tell you that about 60% of the guests have a book with them, most of the others have magazines, almost all the books are A format paperbacks (mass market) and almost all appear to be thrillers or crime fiction.

I am currently reading two fiction titles, unusual for me, I often read one fiction and one non-fiction but I do not ever recall reading two fiction titles at the same time previously. There is a reason.

The kind folks at Hachette NZ have oaned me a Sony eBook reader and have loaded it with six fiction titles of my choice from their forthcoming publishing. So on "my" eBook reader I am reading The Arms Maker of Berlin by Dan Fesperman , set in contemporary USA & World War Two Berlin & Berne while in paperback I am reading Inspector Singh Investigates by Shamini Flint. I'll report back on both titles, and of my experience with reading an eBook later on this journey.

1 comment:

Vanda Symon said...

Jealous, jealous, jealous, she types, dressed in three layers of merino, ugg boots and a Dunedin suntan.