Sunday, October 04, 2009

HER FEARFUL SYMMETRY
Audrey Niffenegger
Random House - $38.99

Mini review by guest reviewer Auckland lawyer Sheena Lau.

The author writes in her introductory note to the reader that the book “is about love and loss, and the dangers of getting what you wish for; it’s about the delights and inconveniences of mental illness and immortality”.
I was initially sceptical of this mish-mash of themes but Niffenegger’s latest novel is a gem.

It’s a story that revolves around Americans Julia and Valentina Poole, mirror-image twins, who inherit a London flat from their deceased aunt. What follows is an introduction into the lives of a cast of characters who are brilliant, complex and mysterious. The flat overlooks Highgate Cemetery and the author writes so vividly about it, essentially turning it into the star of the book, that it’s definitely on the list for my next London trip.

The twins change the lives of everyone they encounter, freeing some and imprisoning others. This is a modern day ghost story that is easy to read and rich in charm and eccentricity. A great read!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I am so glad you wrote a review on this book because when I first heard about it, I thought about getting it. The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my favorite books (I have yet to see the movie - I'm worried it might spoil it), and with your positive review, I am definitely going to give this book a chance. Thank you!