Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Twilight: book breaks sales records Stephenie Meyer, the author of the phenomenally successful Twilight Saga books, has broken Waterstone's record for the fastest time to sell a million copies.
By Harriet Alexander reporting in The Telegraph

Pic left -Kristen Stewart (L) and Robert Pattinson in film Twilight Photo: BLOOMBERG

The Twilight books, which have been turned into a series of hit films starring Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, have broken Waterstone's sales records.
The teen vampire books by Stephenie Meyer have sold one million copies in little over two and a half years – beating the previous record set by Harry Potter author JK Rowling.

Sarah Clarke, buying manager for children’s books at Waterstone’s said: “This is by far the fastest climb to a million sales I’ve ever seen.
“Twilight was only published in March 2007 and it has taken off in a remarkably short time.
"Popular doesn’t even begin to describe it – the Twilight Saga is a phenomenon in its own right and like Harry Potter it has generated a global sensation that crosses several media.“

Ursula Mackenzie, CEO and publisher at Little, Brown, said that the success was down to broad appeal of Stephenie Meyer's books.
“Her appeal is universal; she touches on themes – rebellion, angst, and finding your place in the world against tough odds – that resonate with girls and boys, teens and adults.
"I suspect this universality is the reason the Twilight Saga is so beloved.“

The Twilight films – the second of which, New Moon, is released in the UK on Friday – have also proved to be lucrative.

The teen vampire film took over £1 million in the UK on its first day in December 2008, and hopes are high for New Moon.

2 comments:

The Reader said...

Can you believe I've never read Twilight? I was reading an article today that detailed stay at home moms who are obsessed with the film/book series. I couldn't get into Harry Potter unfortunately, maybe this will be one bandwagon I can jump on? I'm not holding my breath though, everything I like tends to be frightfully obscure.

The Reader
I'm a Bookworm

nintendo dsi r4 said...

Hi,
I like this article but..
last night i went to the midnight premiere of harry potter and the half blood prince! I was honestly so disappointed! was it just me or did it seem very choppy and for some reason didn't feel like it was a harry potter movie. Don't get me wrong some of the parts in it were either really funny or somewhat scary but i really was not satisfied. I don't know, what did you think?? Am i wrong? Give me your opinions..