Monday, December 07, 2009

Booklover

Comedian Jeremy Elwood is currently touring New Zealand in the Comedy Christmas Gala.

The book I love most is...
A toss up between The Art Of War by Sun Tzu, and Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. The former because it can be read so many different ways, and applied in so many situations. Contrary to popular belief, its main focus (at least according to the Denma Translation I have) is to avoid conflict, and win without going into battle. As a stand-up, that comes in useful on a nightly basis, particularly with the pre-Christmas social club set. The latter is straight fiction, but a novel that draws you completely into its world, messes with your head, and spits you out at the other end, shaken but enthralled. One of the few “twist” endings I never saw coming.

The book I'm reading right now is...
Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson. It’s a convoluted story spanning the length of the Vietnam War, and taking in a range of characters from regular infantry to CIA psychological operatives to a local double agent. To be honest, it’s a bit of a slog, but Johnson throws in enough snatches of beautiful writing to get you to the next chapter. I’m not too proud to admit that I plan to follow it up with the new Dan Brown.

The book I'd like to read next is…
There are a few. If I’m limited by things which are actually in print, then the Sarah Palin biography, because I love a good laugh. If not, I’m like to see The Collected Emails of Hone Harawira and The Bible 2 – What I REALLY meant to say, by God.

This piece first appeared in the Herald on Sunday, 6 Deecember, 2009 and is reproduced with permission.

No comments: