Wednesday, December 09, 2009

POET/AUTHOR BUB BRIDGER DIES

The New Zealand Herald reports this morning that New Zealand writer Bub Bridger has died at her Granity home north of Westport.
R.I.P. Bub. I treasure you memory.

The following text and photo are from publishers Mallinson Rendel website:

Bub Bridger is part Maori, part English, half Irish. For over thirty years she has been writing and performing her work. She is, perhaps, best known for her fantasy poems, the most famous of which is undoubtedly "A Christmas Wish". 'I'm part Maori, part English, half Irish. I don't know anything about the English bit, but I feel Maori, and I feel Irish, and that feeling sings in me like the wind.' says Bub.

She started writing once her four children were grown up. 'There was never any time before,' she says. She took a course with Michael King, who recognised the talent in her first short story.
Her poems and short stories have appeared in numerous anthologies. She has also written for radio and television and acted on the stage. She was a member of the highly regarded women’s comedy group Hen’s Teeth and some of the pieces featured in this collection date from that time.

Bub was born in 1924 in Napier and she is now living on the West Coast.

2 comments:

Keri Hulme said...

I am saddened to learn of Bub's death - she was a warm, engaging, and humorous lady, and a fine writer.
She has her words as a memorial, and all the good memories other have of her-

Ella West said...

Knew Bub when we were both living on the Coast.
Will be sadly missed.