Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bonnie Kozeluh reports on Poetry Idol at AWRF

Poetry Idol.... what a fantastic, inspiring, invigorating, and tremendous way to finish the Auckland Writers and Readers festival!  I had heard extremely good things about this event in the past and made it my mission to attend this year.  I had heard this event sells out every year so I got in early to get my tickets and discovered when trying to purchase more tickets closer to the event that they had in fact sold out again.  The venue was great - if somewhat full – in fact we ended up with a fantastic view of the show… sitting on the stage!

The calibre of the performers was extraordinarily good, as were the judges, UK DJ/poet and hip-hop artist Charlie Dark, whose involvement of the audience was extremely comical, screenwriter Nick Ward, and, from the Australian poetry scene, Alicia Sometimes. Penny Ashton, the host of the show was fun and set the tone beautifully for the evening.  Performances ranged from touchingly sad and poignant to hilarious and upbeat.  Every poet did an amazing job and I am looking forward to next year’s event… A bigger venue will definitely be needed!

No comments: