Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Principles of Uncertainty

Maira Kalman
Penguin US - NZ$37

Maira Kalman paints her highly personal worldview in this inimitable combination of image and text.

This is a quite delightful book that I stumbled across at Untiy Books, Auckland recently. It is amazingly original, can't think of anything else like it, and it gave me such fun and pleasure. I loved it. And I don't knmow how I got this far through my life without coming across her before!?

Part of the back cover blurb -
An irresistible invitation to experience life through a beloved artist's psyche, The Principles of Uncertainty is a compilation of Maira Kalman's New York Times columns. Part personal narrative, part documentary, part travelogue, part chapbook, and all Kalman, these brilliant, whimsical paintings, ideas, and images-which initially appear random-ultimately form an intricately interconnected worldview, an idiosyncratic inner monologue.

Some of the many images to give something of a feel for the book:


For more delights check out her wonderful blog at the NYT.

No comments: