Thursday, February 17, 2011

THE ART OF PETER SIDDELL

I reviewed this beautiful book last week. Tonight the book is to be launched in Auckland prior to publication tomorrow.
Author/artist Peter Siddell is quite unwell and I am therefore especially grateful to him for agreeing to a brief interview prior to tonight's launch.

 First off Peter my warmest congratulations on such a splendid book, you must be delighted with the way it has turned out?
Thanks Graham. I’m certainly delighted with what Random House has produced.
   
You were born and educated in Auckland and apart from overseas travel have been here all your life. Your paintings are largely of Auckland scenes, composite and imagined, often featuring volcanic cones with their man-made terraces, the harbour, and older urban villas. I guess only an artist with your knowledge of Auckland and such a love of the place could produce this sort of work?
I suppose if you live in one place for three quarters of a century you get to know it quite well.

I notice looking at your book that over the years you have kept quite a few of your own paintings and so I wonder if your home looks something like a one-man show in terms of the art hanging? 
No, because as well as Sylvia’s work there is also our collection of other artists’ work which we have acquired during the last fifty years . The house is crammed with art and objects from top to bottom.

Your wife Sylvia is also a distinguished artist of course and I wonder what it can be like with two such creative people living under the one roof? It has obviously worked because you have been married for 50 years! I guess having such different styles and subject matter helps? 
It’s great to have another artist in the house; someone to call on for a trustworthy second opinion on areas such as composition colour and tonal relationships but we never discuss the content of each others work as even after 50 years this is an area which is far too personal.

A bit over 2 years ago you were diagnosed with a brain tumour and I recall you telling me at a book launch in 2009 that you had been given a very bleak prognosis. Surgery followed. I notice in your book that the 150 paintings featured include one painted in 2010. So you have been able to paint since your original diagnosis? 
My first Surgery was in December 2008 and I was able to do some painting during 2009. However,after another operation in December 2009 I found working increasingly difficult and the few paintings dated 2010 were begun the previous year.

Footnote:
Do check this gorgeous book out at your bookshop or library.It is quite the most beautiful book I have seen in a long while containing some 150 of Peter Siddell's exquisite works of art.

No comments: