Tuesday, February 01, 2011

On Bookseller Time

Shelf Awareness - 31 January, 2011
"Having worked at Green Apple for a very long time, I have come to realize that I mark off my life in the seasons of the store: holiday decorations go up, I'm a year older. Calendar bins come back from storage, I'm a year older. James Patterson has a new book out, I'm three weeks older.
And so I thought, if I were a hermit living under the stairs in the store, and I only came out at night after all of the customers and booksellers were gone, I would have a pretty good idea what time of year it was. Lots of books on display about love and kissing--must be coming on February. Big display of books about how great moms are, May must be around the corner, and I know that soon the military history and sports books will be coming in for Father's Day."

--From "The Hermit in the Bookstore," a post on the Green Apple Core blog at Green Apple Books, San Francisco, Calif.

No comments: