Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Burns Fellow moves on


“Up north there always seems to be too much movement for water to be a perfect mirror. But each day, as I rode or walked or drove from the centre of Dunedin out to Saint Leonards where I lived throughout the fellowship, there it was: the world, reflected and still in the water. That’s what I remember most about Dunedin.”

Michele Powles tells me she wrote a lot last year. Two of her short stories have popped up on short lists for UK competitions and there are a number of other pots on the boil. But her biggest learning from a year in Dunedin has been another writerly skill: patience. That thing that makes writing a career.

Michele is back out working as an independent contractor, (http://www.michelepowles.com/), and working on her next novel.
TheBurns Fellowship will be open for applications in June. Fiona Farrell is this year’s Robert Burns Fellow.

Footnote:
The beautiful photograph above of Otago Peninsula viewed from St Leonards, Otago Harbour was taken by David Wall of davidwallphoto.com and is reproduced here with his permission. Thank you David.

1 comment:

TK Roxborogh said...

we LOVED having Michelle part of our community (and some of us, me included) enjoyed lovely dinner get togethers at her place and coffees around town. She was the epitome of coolness to my daughters and for me personally, missed.

Yet, it is lovely to see Fiona is closer still (ie 3 min walk down the road) and I anticipate many intersections over this coming year - despite the weather