Sunday, March 20, 2011

The world's heaviest cook book?

By Daniela Elser, Entertainment Editor, Courier Mail

Weighing at 18kg, costing A$625 and coming in at 2,400 pages- this latest gourmet guide isn't your average kitchen cookbook.

New book weighs as much as small child

Reported $10m price tag to produce
Features a 30-hour hamburger recipe

 It's stunning - but would you ever cook from it? Picture: Courtesy Modernist Cuisine Source: news.com.au


The brainchild of Nathan Myhrvold, a multimillionaire tech visionary, Modernist Cusine is a six-volume behemoth that may be the world’s heaviest cookbook ever.

Taking 46 people nearly five years to produce in a massive Seattle warehouse, the incredible six-volume series celebrates the laboratory-inspired cooking made famous by El Bulli’s Ferran Adria and The Fat Duck’s Heston Blumenthal.

Read the full piece at Brisbane's Courier Mail.

4 comments:

Lauraine said...

Not only the heaviest, but the most expensive. For that money i got six month's tuition at the London Cordon Bleu school (admittedly in the 70's.)

Alessandra said...

18 kg????? I am so curious now, even i couldn't lift it!!

I wander how long it took to write the index :-).

ciao
A.

Keri H said...

O goodness! Even if I win Lotto, this is not a cookbook I'd crave...I can think of several older cookbooks I could track down, that I'd value more-

o, and at 3kg per volume, you could easily manage it Allessandra!

Alessandra said...

Maybe I could Keri, but my kitchen bookshelf is already cracking!