Saturday, July 09, 2011

The Bookman is half way to Europe

In the Thai Airways lounge at Bangkok with time to kill before getting on the plane to London.
Managed to stay awake for most of the 12 hour flight from Auckland so planning to sleep on the next leg. It is currently 4.20am Saturday am NZ time as I write this.

Read A MAN YOU CAN BANK ON by Derek Hansen (Hachette) on the plane and got most of the way through DRAWING CONCLUSIONS by Donna Leon (Heinemann).
The Derek Hansen book could be loosely described  as crime fiction but really it is a riotous romp of an adventure which in spite of a number of murders is very very funny. I chuckled out loud on several occasions.

Donna Leon is a very different sort of writer, she is a master of literary crime fiction and for me her Commissario Brunetti is one of the great contemporary cops. As a bonus the story is set in Venice and some of the descriptions took me back to the several happy visits I have made to that astonishing city. It's about a suspicious death that might or might not be violent,  might or might not be murder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on not letting your brain go to mush in the air. I often find I can concentrate on reading only for the first few hours.
Bookbrainz

Renee said...

All best for your European sojourn, Graham. As it happens I'm also about two-thirds of the way through 'Drawing Conclusions' and am in total accordance with your views on Donna Leon. 'm actually really surprised that more people are not aware of her or, maybe more to the point, Guido Brunetti et al.