Thursday, October 27, 2011

APPLICATION DEADLINES AT THE IIML

A reminder that applications for the 30 places in our 2012 MA workshops close on November 1st.  We've never been quite sure that word of the Scriptwriting option has reached all corners of the universe, so we asked Ken Duncum to pen a quick note. Here it is.
"The MA Scriptwriting course has now been running for ten years. It remains the only dedicated scriptwriting Masters degree in New Zealand (i.e.  it is not a ‘stream’ within a broader MA) and its graduates have won numerous writing awards in film, television and theatre. Feature film The Orator (O Le Tulafale) currently in general release after premiering in competition at the Venice Film Festival was written and directed by Tusi Tamasese, a graduate of the 2007 MA Scriptwriting class, who wrote the film as his major thesis project.
Throughout the last decade the course has evolved and developed and created firm links with industry bodies, production companies and related teaching institutions. Our workshop teaching model ensures learning is practical and hands-on – and also creates and maintains a community of scriptwriters. Even if I didn’t run it, my advice to up-and-coming scriptwriters would be to do this course."
More generally, you can check out our MA graduate page, where you'll find wisdom like this:
"I'd have to say the best thing I got out of my MA year was that I wrote a book. Of course I made friends, some I now consider whānau. But I love a deadline, me, and that looming November date was just the kind of someone-is-expecting-something-from-me daily ass-kicking that I needed."
Hinemoana Baker, poet
Information about how to apply for the MA is here.
And a further quick reminder about the Iowa workshops. If you want to fast-track your writing over the summer, we offer these special credit-bearing courses taught by outstanding graduates from America’s oldest and most prestigious creative writing programme. This summer we are offering separate Iowa workshops in poetry and fiction from 9 January to 17 February. Enrolment is restricted to 12 students per workshop, and applications close on 9 November. Start here for further information.

No comments: