Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Booklover - Jon Bridges


 Jon Bridges is the producer of 7 Days Live which tours the North Island from November 26.
The book I love most is.............................The Remains Of The Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. What a magnificent and heart-wrenching book. I always thought it an incredible feat that someone so completely Japanese could write such an acutely English book. If you haven't read it, please stop what you are doing right away. 
The book I'm reading right now is.............The Sense Of An Ending by Julian Barnes. I'm really loving it too, it's such a delicate and compelling dissection of memory and aging.
The book I'm reading next is...............Sitting on my shelf waiting for me is Michael King's The Silence Beyond. Nobody knew more about us.
 My favourite bookshop is............I love Time Out in Mt Eden where the cat sitting on the counter knows more about books than most people in other bookshops. And I have to admit I love lying in bed with my iPad and in five minutes from Amazon I can have almost any book in the world. It's just like the future.
 The book that changed me is..................The Poky Little Puppy - a Little Golden Book my mother used to read me. That puppy was so naughty, he got away with so much, I'm sure my infant mind decided that puppy was me, and to this day I still find it very rewarding to come down tumble bumble, pell mell. 
 The book I wish I'd never read is........What's up with The Shipping News? Even the title gives away how boring the rest of the book is likely to be, and yet we still read it. The actual news about real shipping would be boring but at least it would have the odd grounding, maybe an oil spill. There's a whole sub-genre of fiction where the idea is to have as little happen as possible. Annie Proulx is the queen.
This piece featured in the book section of the Herald on Sunday, 20 November 2011

No comments: