Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Short Cuts - James Meek

This is an excerpt from a marvellous essay in the London Review of Books Vol. 33 No. 21 · 3 November 2011
The lightness of the ebook medium, literally and figuratively, holds a terrible allure and an insidious threat to the heavily booked-up among us. How many marriages, seemingly held firm by the impossibility of moving several hundredweight of vinyl or CDs out of a family-sized home, have already foundered post the digitisation of music? How many more will break if apparently inseparable and immovable matrimonial libraries become something that anyone can walk out with in their pocket?
Moving flats this weekend I was confronted with the objective reality of owning half a tonne of paper books without having a mansion to put them in. In the first part of the move I helped a strong man from Romania to carry my boxes of books up two storeys and put my back in agony for the next two days. Soon afterwards, in the gym, the trainer I am paying to make my back strong added extra weights to my routine. Yet when it came to the second part of the move – many more boxes of books – I didn’t add more weight to my load. I added another Romanian. He told me of one intellectual who’d got him to carry 60 boxes of books, each weighing 40 kilogrammes, up to the fifth floor of a block of flats, without seeming to think she was asking him to do anything remarkable.
The feel, weight and smell of my own paper books in my hand, some of them old friends I haven’t seen for years, is a joy. As physical books I can not only keep them and reread them but give them away, lend them to people, take them to second-hand booksellers. But there are lines I would rather not cross: walls of books on more than two sides, for instance, or a sound from the floorboards like the imminent fall of a sawn-out Redwood pine when I slot the last volume of Remembrance of Things Past into its place. The rise of the ebook offers the chance to be ruthless in the personal paper library without losing the ability to keep text. On the urban bookshelves of the crowded future world only the loved and the beautiful will survive.
Read the full essay at LRB.

No comments: