Friday, January 06, 2012

More books bought in NYC

Visited the wonderful McNally Jackson bookstore in Prince Steet, Soho yesterday and bought "An Object of Beauty" by Steve Martin, his new novel, and "NFT - Not for Tourists Guide to New York City".
This is one of the great indie bookstores in NYC - about the size of Unity Books, Wellington I guess.
Havelock North-based author/reviewer Cheryl Sucher used to work there and is still fondly remembered.

Today I spent almost three hours in The Strand Bookstore at 828 Broadway, another great indie bookseller where new and second-hand books jostle for space.Here I bought How Fiction Works by James Wood and As Always, Julia - the letters of Julia Child and Avis Devoto edited by Joan Reardon.
Later at the huge Barnes & Noble store at Union Square (spread over 5 floors) I bought Molto Gusto - Easy Italian Cooking by Mario Batali.
OK that's it, I'm not buying any more books, I have a suitcase full already!


 In the huge cookery section at Barnes & Noble, Union Sq.
In Strand Books,

3 comments:

Nik said...

Oh man I love the Strand! Jealous!

Anonymous said...

I can recommend these bookshops too! McNally Jackson and The Strand both have terrific poetry sections ... my bag was laden with books: classics, new surprises. Oh! I am nostalgic for those shelves. In NZ you do have Helen's dedicated shelves at Parsons to NZ Poetry which is a local treat but it is hard to find the range of English-language poets here. Happy travels!

Paula Green

Anonymous said...

Nothing like serindipitous browsing to winkle good books out. Always wondered if you leave your extra clothes behind and just bring books home!!!!
Bookbrainz