Monday, February 20, 2012

Booklover Oscar Kightley on his favourites




Actor and writer Oscar Kightley stars in Sione’s Wedding 2: Unfinished Business.
The book I love most is...any that takes me some place else and gets me thinking about stuff.


The book I'm reading right now is....The Other Brain by R. Douglas Fields. It's about what science is discovering about the function and role of all the mushy stuff in our brains. Everyone thinks brains are all about neurons but they make up only 15% of it. I'm trying understand how my brain works more.


The book I'd like to read next is..... The Hemlock Cup by Bettany Hughes. It's a biography of Socrates. The back of the book said that we think the way we are because Socrates thought the way he did. I want to learn more about this remarkable human.

My favourite bookshop is.... Dear Reader on Richmond Road in West Lynn, Auckland. I can't walk in there without ending leaving with a book I like, so I can never go in there when I'm broke.


The book that changed me is...... The first one I borrowed at the Matipo Primary School library in Te Atatu North way back in the day. It featured folk stories and myths from different cultures around the world. It put me on the path of enjoying reading and the power of stories.


The book I wish I'd never read is...I never finish a book if it feels like I won't get anything from it. Life's too short to spend some of it reading stink books.

First published in the Herald on Sunday 19 February, 2012


No comments: