Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Gift - The Little Book of Saints - Who is the patron saint of booksellers?


I was given this gorgeous little padded hard-cover book (Chronicle Books) and was most interested to read  about St.Anne who is the Patron Saint of Booksellers, (and grandmothers and lacemakers) and St.Francis Borgia who is the Patron Saint of Earthquake Victims.

Although I have no religious affiliations it is interesting to read how supposedly Saint Christopher keeps us safe when we travel? Or why Saint Patrick is always depicted with a nest of snakes? And how did Cecilia come to be the patron saint of music? These stories and more are explained in this little gem of a book. The perfect gift for today although I note that St.Valentine is not included (!) but it is a captivating collection which recounts the extra-ordinary myths and legends, heartrending stories, joys, and sorrows of the mostly beloved saints, from the famous to the mysteriously obscure.
It is beautifully illustrated with historical pictures from prayer books and missals. It is going in the reference section of my bookshelf tomorrow when I have finished reading it.

Warm thanks to the anonymous donor.

3 comments:

sonja yelich said...

I have this book, too. I got it at World in Vulcan Lane. I had to laugh - Saint Clare is the Patron Saint of Television. Saint Matthew is the Patron Saint of Tax Collectors, Bankers and Accountants - and gee, they need all the help they can get.

Vanda Symon said...

Who is the patron saint of writers? Who should I be appealing to?

Beattie's Book Blog said...

Saint Francis De Sales is the patron saint of journalists and writers.