Thursday, March 15, 2012

Poems from Ora Nui

Ora Nui is a brand new biennial Maori literary journal which I wrote about last month.
Editor Anton Blank has kindly agreed to letting me publish two poems that especially appealed to me from this first issue. Here they are for your enjoyment.


Without words
At times, I fall into a
well of sadness.  All
the words recede.  The
light pouring through the
window pales.  I find it
hard to talk.  The fridge
grows empty, & then
I forget to eat.  I forget
how to talk.  Language
grates against me like
a splintered wall.  All
the words fall down
in shards.  In the middle
of the night, instead of
sleeping, I work to piece
them together.  They say,
“I am.”  They say,
“Listen to me.”

Kiri Piahana-Wong is a New Zealander of Ngati Ranginui (Maori), Chinese and Pakeha (English) ancestry. She has published her work widely in journals and anthologies in New Zealand and Australia, including Mauri Ola: Contemporary Polynesian Poems in EnglishThe NZ Poetry Society Anthology 2008Livelines 2 & 3, BravadoBlackmail PressJAAM, SidestreamSnorkel, The Lumiere Reader and Trout. Kiri is also a performance poet, and an MC at Poetry Live, NZ's longest-running live poetry venue.

Mumble

Like someone talking in their sleep

I mumble when I speak
and get a bit of cheek
They say "Munro dont be shy
Be yourself"
and other cliches like
"you need to break outta that shell"
Well I would if I knew how

But instead I get a shakey voice
at the sound of no noise
Gotta make my words clear
so that everyone can hear
Or just use the drawing way
to say what I gotta say

because I gotta be true to myself
for the sake of everybody else
who get to listen to me fumble
with words that I mumble
in a language not my own
Yet the only one I know

Munro Te Whata (Niue, Ngati Porou, Nga Puhi) has lived in South and West Auckland most of his life. He is trained in classical animation, and has been working in the animation industry since he was eighteen years old. He has worked on a number of television shows including Bro’town and Maori Television’s Korero Ki Nga Kararehe. Munro is currently freelancing and studying creative writing at Manukau Institute of Technology.

No comments: