According to Amazon, being able to borrow eBooks leads to sales. The company reported today that in March, every time a customer borrowed an independently-published book from the Kindle Lending Library, the author earned $2.18.
For example, 24 percent of customers who borrowed Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games bought Catching Fire and 24 percent bought Mockingjay. In addition, 51 percent of customers who borrowed one of Debora Geary‘s books from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library purchased one of her titles.

eBookNewser has more: “Martin Crosbie, the author of My Temporary Life earned more than $45,000 in one month from paid sales and loans from the Kindle Store during the month of March. Crosbie credited the sales, which very much surpassed his $100 in income from February and January, to letting his book be available in the Kindle Lending Library.”Crosbie explained in the release: “Because of Amazon, and KDP Select in particular, I can now call myself an author – before my experience with this program that was only a dream. Through KDP Select, I have been able to get my work to thousands and thousands of readers quickly and effectively. My experience with KDP Select is truly life-changing.”