Sunday, May 20, 2012

JOANNE HARRIS: CHOCOLAT AND PEACHES

We Love this Book


Chocolat author Joanne Harris talks about revisiting Lansquenet in Peaches for Monsieur le Curé


Part of the magic of fiction is that it sometimes takes to a reality of its own. Fictional places can seem more real than the view from our bedroom, and fictional people can sometimes become as close to us as our families.
Not even a writer can predict which characters will come to life, which ones will endure in readers’ hearts, outliving their creators. Of course, all my characters are dear to me, and several of them have resurfaced, but for some reason, it is Vianne Rocher and her daughter Anouk (who first appeared in Chocolat) who have been the most active, knocking repeatedly at my door until I had written not one but two sequels to the odd little tale that was published in 1999, and that has never quite left me alone.







No comments: