Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mary Higgins Clark: By the Book


Published: May 10, 2012 - New York Times

Mary Higgins Clark - llustration by Jillian Tamaki


What book is on your night stand now?

“Dante to ‘Dead Man Walking’: One Reader’s Journey Through the Christian Classics,” by Raymond A. Schroth.

When and where do you like to read?
I like to read anywhere. I never go to a doctor or dentist without a book in my bag. At home I used to love to read in bed but fall asleep too easily. So my favorite spot is a roomy wing chair with a footstool in the family room. If I’m working on my own book, I’ll be reading background material in my third-floor office at home in Saddle River.

What was the last truly great book you read?
After many years, I just reread “Pride and Prejudice” and understand why it is, and always will be, a classic.

Are you a fiction or a nonfiction person? What’s your favorite literary genre? Any guilty pleasures?
Fiction or nonfiction: honestly, both. I love to read historical biographies, and of course I cut my teeth on suspense, starting with “The Bobbsey Twins and Baby May,” in which an infant is left on the doorstep. The baby sitter had been in a daze because a can of tomato soup had fallen on her head, and she keeps trying to steal the baby back. After that it was the “Nancy Drew” series, and I was hooked.

You once worked as a stewardess, and presumably you have traveled quite a bit. Any observations about what people read on airplanes and how that’s changed over the years? What do you like to read on the plane?
When I was a flight stewardess with Pan American a thousand years ago, everyone was carrying a book. Now everyone seems to be carrying a computer or looking at the television. A few years ago, I got on the plane and smiled to see a woman deeply engrossed in one of my books. I settled myself and a few minutes later glanced back. She was in a dead sleep. On a plane, I like to catch up with what my suspense writer friends are up to and grab their latest on the way to the plane.

No comments: