Saturday, May 05, 2012

THE SUSPICIONS OF MS SUMMERSCALE






Kate Summerscale's new book exposes the scandalous case of a Victorian woman taken to court over her diaries about an affair with a married man
It was while she was researching The Suspicions of Mr Whicher that Summerscale came across an intriguing reference to a celebrated Victorian divorce case. “Although I couldn’t do anything with it at the time, it stayed with me. It was a sort of puzzle. Once I had embarked on it, however, the book became not merely the solving of that puzzle but an attempt to reconstruct a life.”

From We Love this Book

Picturebook legend Shirley Hughes explains the background to her first novel, Hero on a Bicycle
I was 19 when I first saw Florence. It was my first visit to Italy. I had my sketchbook with me, and I thought it was the most beautiful city I had ever seen. It was not long after the end of the Second World War. Tourists were beginning to trickle back, but the bridges over the Arno had been blown up, and there was a lot of poverty. Food was scarce for those who could not afford to buy on the black market.




No comments: