Ray Bradbury died today, but writers around the world are reflecting on this great author’s legacy. President, science fiction fan and author Barack Obama shared this tribute:
For many Americans, the news of Ray Bradbury’s death immediately brought to mind images from his work, imprinted in our minds, often from a young age. His gift for storytelling reshaped our culture and expanded our world. But Ray also understood that our imaginations could be used as a tool for better understanding, a vehicle for change, and an expression of our most cherished values. There is no doubt that Ray will continue to inspire many more generations with his writing, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
William Morrow will publish Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury in July, a tribute to this great science fiction writer. In a spooky coincidence, Neil Gaiman recorded the audiobook version of his contribution yesterday, “The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury.”
The book also includes work by Dave Eggers, Joe Hill, Audrey Niffenegger, Margaret Atwood and Alice Hoffman.
Sam Weller, one of the book’s editors and the author of The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury posted this message: “I’ll never see you again. I’ll never see you again. I’ll never see you again. The problem with death, you once said to me, is that ‘it is so damned permanent.’ I will miss you dear man, mentor, father, friend. I type these words through heavy tears. I thank you for 12 glorious years of life, learning and laughter. You have blessed me and my family beyond measure, and for that, I thank you. I LOVE YOU.”