Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Christchurch Writers Festival Veteran decides to step back


Ruth Todd writes:

Looking forward to seeing some of you next week at The Press Christchurch Writers Festival- hopefully spring will be here!  I am looking forward to hearing the amazing writers too. Thank you to so many for all your support.

This is my last festival and I am finishing Women On Air too with a big celebration on 19 September after 20 years – help! A little scary as I love what we do, but the timing feels right.
Morrin Rout and I are going to do a weekly BOOKENZ - a  one hour programme from October on Plains FM and plan to keep doing writers’ events to cover costs.  We really want to keep promoting books  and interviewing all the high quality writers out there. This is my first love and I can pre-record the programme and have my weekends back.
I am still homeless after the earthquakes and need time to sort that –I'm too old to be living in limbo.

Cheers 
Ruth Todd
The Press Christchurch Writers Festival
Women on Air
Plains FM
PO Box 22297
Christchurch
03 384 4721
027 4244445

Photo right shows Ruth Todd and The Bookman chatting last month in the very fine cookery book section at UBS Canterbury.

7 comments:

Keri Hulme said...

I am very sorry to learn that Ruth is stepping down; she & Morrin have been part of women & bookies' lives for so long, and she will be much missed as a personal & audio presence.

Ruth I'll be over in ChChCh on the 1st, at the Pavillion hotel - would love to shout you a drink- cheers n/n Keri

Paparoa said...

Legend...

Helen Lowe said...

I think NZ writers and readers, and all books and writing in NZ, whatever their origin, all owe both Ruth and Morrin a huge debt of gratitude, built up over many years. Ruth works tirelessly and her love of books and reading is an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Ruth Todd -- you have given those of us who love and work with books and words so much. A huge thank you
and a northern hip hip hooray for all your fabulous work! You are terrific. I hope you find lots more lovely things to do and that your homeless state improves soon. Love Paula Green

Sandra Arnold said...

I can't believe it's been 20 years! Ruth's warm,supportive presence will be greatly missed by all the writers she's interviewed for Women on Air. Glad to hear she won't be withdrawing completely from the book scene.
Sandra

Rachael King said...

Ruth has done an incredible job over the years, and especially lately, holding it all together and keeping the festival going through her own earthquake-induced hardships. Thanks Ruth!

David Elworthy said...

How will the ChCh literary community cope without Ruth? Her energy, enthusiasm, and administrative talents have kept things going during the most difficult times. But at least we've still got Morrin to chivvy us all along.

And we'll look forward to hearing them both on Plains FM in the future.

David Elworthy