Saturday, August 18, 2012

MANKELL: THE SWEDISH MASTER

We Love This Book


Barry Forshaw talks Bergman, Israel and Wallander with Henning Mankell, Scandinavian crime innovator

A few days after Kenneth Branagh’s knighthood was announced, I met Henning Mankell in an upmarket London hotel. Branagh is one of three actors to have played the role of his hero policeman Kurt Wallander, to varying degrees of acclaim. Mankell, when asked in interviews about which of the three actors he prefers, has always been studiously diplomatic. Can I finally draw him out?
 “I don’t find it a difficult question when I’m asked who I prefer,” says Mankell. 
“I am a theatre director. I spend a lot of time working with actors, so I see the particular virtues of each… I’m always excited by the fact that they are strikingly different 
from each other.”










No comments: