Monday, October 29, 2012

More on John Griffin - funeral details

John’s funeral will be held at St Matthew-in-the-City, cnr of Wellesley St and Hobson St at 1pm on Thursday 1st November. 
Messages to 6/29 Beresford Street Central, Freeman’s Bay, Auckland, 1011. The funeral notice will be in to the Herald tomorrow, Tuesday. 

Further to my report yesterday on the death of veteran bookman John Griffin, another trade veteran, Paul Greenberg, reported as follows:

  We were preparing to go to Frankfurt, mid eighties I think, when John’s position as Whitcoulls Agency Book Manager was abruptly terminated.  Like all of us, John had a full diary of appointments made, so in that mischievous, inventive way of his, he advised all his appointments by sending them his business card with ‘Cancelled’ stamped across his name!! The business card was not accompanied with any other correspondence.  I know this because when I went to one of my appointments I was presented with John’s business card and asked, could I explain!!  I still have that business card .(see below)


Photo shows John Griffin, left, with old friend Paul Greenberg in 2008.



No comments: