Saturday, October 13, 2012

New Zealand at Frankfurt



  • Guy Somerset from The Listener blogs on Frankfurt: 

    Guy is a most entertaining writer/commentator.here is an example:


    • The German habit I could never get used to is just how long the readings last. In New Zealand, audiences start to twitch after five minutes, their patience running out after 10 minutes; in Germany, readings of 40 minutes are not uncommon, and I’ve already sat through many of 20 minutes. 
    • At the Morris and Quigley event, I was more than sated by the 15 minutes apiece when the moderator announced it was time for second readings (of another 15 minutes apiece). 
    • Under the circumstances, I had to admire the stamina of the two homeless men who’d wandered in and persisted in making mischief throughout the 90-minute event. I think I’d have been off – of my own volition rather than because of a security guard – much sooner.
    • The cultural seriousness of which such readings are indicative is further reflected in the German newspapers – broadsheet and bulky and full of lengthy articles. How frustrating it is to find such a serious newspaper culture and not have the language to enjoy it.

    There is much more, use the link above.

No comments: