Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Why I'd Still Choose Paper Books Over Digital Books


By , Contributor - Morton Report
 

Whenever I’m asked to write tablet reviews, I get anxious. There’s the Google Nexus 7, which runs on pure Android without third-party bloatware. If the rumor mill is true, Google is now working with Samsung on a high-end 10-inch Nexus tablet with 2560x1600 resolution, putting the iPad’s pixel density to shame. In other news, Amazon just announced the New Kindle Fire HD with 4G LTE and 32 GB of storage.
Then of course, there’s Apple’s venture into the phablet market with the much-awaited 7-inch iPad Mini, currently slated for an October release. Each new update on the tablet front has admittedly fostered some desires I otherwise wouldn’t have. I’m anxious, because there might just be that one day that I won’t be able to stave off the temptation to put yet another huge dent on my credit card.

Just like other bibliophiles, I had mixed emotions about the advent and popularity of the tablet. On one hand, I’m a pseudo-treehugger and see the merits of a paperless world. I also recognize the convenience of tablets, especially now that my storage space for books is rapidly shrinking. In addition, I get excited about the thought that I can actually manage my own business phone system, bring less stuff with me, or generally organize my life better if I just download apps on an easy-to-tote device.

On the other hand, I’m also your typical romantic; poring over vanillin-like scented pages under a soft glow is a scenario I find most appealing. That said, the romantic in me always wins out despite all the advantages of having a tablet. Yes, I know I can have the best of both worlds, but I’d rather not get distracted. Open your tablet, and it's mayhem waiting to happen—it’s like setting yourself up with multiple dates on the same time and day with all the apps that are just waiting to be clicked. But there’s more to this sentimental bias of mine. Here’s why I very much prefer and love good old books:

The Beauty of Waiting
Walking into my favorite second-hand bookshop, I chanced upon the 100th anniversary edition of Peter Pan. You know those books that you hold off buying because you just have to have the perfect copy? It was a beautiful midnight blue book illustrated by popular children’s fantasy book illustrator Michael Hague. I have never watched the Disney version nor read an unabridged version of this well-loved classic, and here I was holding a hard-bound special edition at more than half the price off!

The dust jacket was a bit wrinkled at the ends, but these small imperfections even made it more perfect for me. Who had held this book in his or her hand, I wondered. I fancied how a little girl must have stared wide-eyed at all the beautifully drawn pictures, which seemed ready to fly off the pages. I wondered if she also felt the urge to soar off like I did, holding this unexpected treasure in my hands. I opened the first page, and guess what I found? The book was a signed copy by Michael Hague! How could this be? After trying to swallow this realization, I rushed home and opened Google to verify if this was indeed Hague’s signature.
My excitement was compounded by the fact that I had to wait for my PC to boot up and my browser to load. I’m glad that I didn’t have a tablet with me, which I could instantly open at whim. There is inexplicable pleasure when you have serendipitous moments like this with a long sought-after book. Tell me, can this encounter ever be replicated by an e-book or app downloaded to your tablet?

Read the full story at The Morton Report

No comments: