Monday, July 29, 2013

Kickass Grammar

Kia ora a Aotearoa. Greetings from New Zealand.


Effin Older, of San Francisco and New Zealand, has just posted her grammar app to all platforms. It costs US$5… but not yet. For the first three weeks, it's free. 

As you'll gather from the title, Kickass Grammar, it's not your mother's grammar guide. For your readers, it actually makes grammar fun. Here's how to get it. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kickass-grammar/id676506099?mt=8 


In the aid of good grammar, it's replete with gossip. Tiger Woods is all right or alright? Marilyn Monroe; was she anxious or eager? Reese Witherspoon — emotive or emotional?

Here's more from the app:

Q: Why should I have this app?
A: To save you from making the most common, dumb-ass grammatical mistakes.
 
Q: Who cares about grammar? 
A: You do. Grammatical mistakes make you look...well, not so smart. And when you make a grammatical goof, people who know better will remember you for your goof, not for your brilliance.

Q: But what if I hate grammar?
A: Well, boo hoo. You're not alone. Just mentioning the word triggers moans and groans. To make it less of a groaner, Michael Jackson, Paris Hilton, Warren Buffet, and a disgraced Italian cruise ship captain will help you become a better grammarian and a better writer.

Q: Do I need to read the whole app (shudder, horrors)?
A: No.NO, NO, NO, NO, NO. In fact, the best way for you to use it is to tap in when a question comes up and tap out when you have the answer. 

Q: For example?
A: For example, when you can't remember where to put a comma. Or you can't remember whether it's effect or
 affect.

Q: So, how do I actually use the app?
A: Scroll down until you find the entry that answers your question, then pop the app back in your pocket. That's it. Done till the next time. 

Q: Does this app cover everything I ever need to know about grammar?
A: No. That would take a lifetime, but it does cover 99% of what you'll ever need. In fact, I'll regularly add more entries, especially in the Common Confusions category. They're endless.

Q: Anything else?
A: Yeah. Have fun learning grammar and kicking ass! 


 
 
 
Here's the section called About the Author:

I first got hooked on grammar when I had to diagram sentences in Mrs.
White's sophomore English class a thousand years ago.
I loved it. And I recently discovered I was in good company. Here's Gertrude
Stein: "I really do not know that anything has ever been more exciting than
diagramming sentences."

Well, I can think of a few things, but you get the point.
 
For many years, I've been writing magazine articles, and books for kids and
non-kids. I've edited other authors and coached new writers. I still do.
 
This app is the culmination of all that. I hope it will enlighten, amuse,
and keep you from messing up and embarrassing yourself by saying things like
"irregardless" when you really mean "regardless" or "different than" when
you should say "different from."
But, you argue, everyone says "irregardless" and "different than."
 
True. But think how smart (and smug) you'll feel knowing the difference. If
you know it, flaunt it. And, yes, it's correct to say, "Smug is I."


Kickass Grammar. If you can bring it ink, please do. If you want to contact Effin, she's ewrite@julesolder.com.

No comments: