Monday, September 09, 2013

'Longbourn' by Jo Baker - reviewed by Maggie Rainey-Smith

'Longbourn' by Jo Baker,
Published by Doubleday
RRP $37.99

                 For all the Jane Austen fans out there, this is a delicious 'subterranean take' of life at Longbourn, the Bennet household, before Pemberley.    I will commit blasphemy here and now, and say that this is by far the more interesting romance   If I had to choose between Elizabeth & Mr Darcy, I'd choose the romance in Jo Baker's novel 'Longbourn', absolutely.  My heart was hijacked. I really, really cared and abandoned myself to the delights of true love.   A little heart racing even, now and then, or was that just me turning the pages a bit faster
.
                Jo Baker has written the story of the housemaids, the housekeeper and the footman, the servants who kept the Bennet household humming along while the girls upstairs concerned themselves with suitable or unsuitable husbands.   You need not have even read Pride and Prejudice to enjoy this novel, but of course, it adds another whole layer if you have - and too, yes, I will confess, I am thinking of re-reading Pride and Prejudice.   Indeed, I have to admit to have only ever reading it the once.   Shameful, I know, but true.  

                While Mrs Bennett is wringing her hands in despair at the lack of suitable husbands for her daughters, downstairs Sarah the housemaid is wringing out the personal laundry.   Every intimate item of clothing is hand-washed  and when the Bennet girls traipse prettily across fields of green, it is Sarah who has to scrub the mud from the petticoats and scrape it from their shoes.   It's the footman, James Smith who waits outside the flash manors with the horses and perhaps a beer if the household remembers -  while the Bennet girls tumble carelessly in their newly washed petticoats into the husband-hunting fray.

                It's a kind of 'Upstairs Downstairs' sort of thing but primarily downstairs.   The upstairs bits remind the reader of what was happening in Austen's novel, with a new perspective on the characters as viewed from downstairs.   And fascinatingly, we have a terrific back story to Mr and Mrs Bennet which is simply perfect, and I bet Jane Austen (if she knew) wished she'd thought of it.  Erhem, and somewhat shamelessly I will quote a character in my own novel 'About turns'... Rachel in the book club who says that 'Mr Bennet is a typical man.  Both the cause of neurosis and the victim of it.'  Perhaps Jo Baker would agree.

                 The thing is, I've never truly succumbed to the hoopla around this most famous of Austen's novels, and perhaps it's the working class chip on my shoulder.  Not that I've ever slaved in a household washing other people's undies, but I have emptied chamber pots.   What I love about 'Longbourn' is the grittiness, the intimate details of all the things that we might rather avoid, like the emptying of the chamber pots, the making of soap, the sheer hard grind of it all.   And although the war and the Militia are on the periphery of Austen's novel, in Baker's version of events, we go to war in Portugal and Spain,  we travel to the Caribbean and see first-hand the slave-trade-sugar triangle - the politics of one of the flash manors in Austen's novel. 
                 Yes, it may well have been very important to find a wealthy husband to provide for the household, but it only runs smoothly when the housemaids know which ribbons to buy for your shoes, how to scent the soap made from pig fat, and when to put duty before love, or not..
.
                I remember reviewing 'Death comes to Pemberley' which is P.D.James' homage to Austen and in this novel, I was even less engaged with Elizabeth and Darcy.   So, it has taken Jo Baker to reignite my interest in the Bennet household, in the romance of Elizabeth and Darcy (even though it's been done to death), and then again... you can just read 'Longbourn' all by itself as a beautifully written and heart-warming romance and find yourselves a new heroine and hero.   A movie, I hear is in the making. 

Jolisa Gracewood in her review in the Listener says this..."It's a smashing novel.  Reader, if it were a person, I'd marry it."   Can't say better than that!

About the reviewer:
Maggie Rainey-Smith (right) is a Wellington writer and regular reviewer on Beattie's Book Blog. She is also Chair of the Wellington branch of the NZ Society of Authors.    

No comments: