Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Joan Rivers Elevator Moment

                    
 By mitchell.ivers | Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Off the Shelf

I will always treasure my elevator-moment memory of Joan Rivers leaving me after a two-hour final editing session on the pages for Murder at the Academy Awards. The plot was all worked out, it had tension and a great climactic scene, but Joan wanted one more chance to sit with me and go page-by-page and insert as many jokes as she could. She arrived in full dress and makeup, as she always did, ready to work. Before we started, I asked her about the jewelry she was wearing. “This, this, this and this are from the Joan Rivers Collection. This,” she said, pointing to a beautiful diamond brooch, “was from Edgar.” 

We had only about two hours carved out of her busy schedule to go over the final manuscript before she was to leave the next morning for China, to do Olivia Newton-John’s “Great Walk to Beijing,” a 228-kilometer breast-cancer benefit along the Great Wall of China. (“I was there for the paparazzi!” she later said of Olivia’s fundraiser. “But that bitch actually wanted to walk the entire length of the Great Wall of China! And I was wearing Jimmy Choos.) 
More

No comments: