Thursday, February 12, 2015

Marti Friedlander celebrates her 87th birthday


 

MARTI FRIEDLANDER



Throughout her inspiring career, Marti Friedlander has demonstrated great insight into the way New Zealand has established a more complex and compelling identity over multiple generations. She has been instrumental in independently documenting the changing nature of contemporary post-war New Zealand through the protest and women's movements, the ever-changing roles of men and women, and that of Maori and Pacific societies.

Now celebrating her 87th birthday, Marti reflects on her life and occupation



Within your latest biography, Self Portrait, you state that had you not come to New Zealand, you might never have become a freelance photographer. What was it about your arrival that encouraged you to turn your hand to photography?
Probably the strangeness of everything as it seemed to me after living in a large cosmopolitan city for all of my life. I decided to photograph what was going on around me and also to start my professional career photographing children.

Having been both an observer and advocate for the significant sociocultural development of post-war New Zealand, especially that of the 1960's and 70's, do you feel you yourself have been shaped by these formative years?
No, not at all. I’m not a follower, but I'm glad to have observed and recorded the changes that were occurring in New Zealand during this time.

In 1999 you were awarded the Companion of New Zealand Order of Merit for your services to photography. What does this recognition mean to you and your work?
Well it was something I felt so proud at receiving. To have such recognition for my work was truly something to be grateful for.  As for my work, it continues to be of interest to others as a record of the past, and for me that is the motivation for all my work, even now. History begins ‘yesterday’ and I’m acutely aware of that!

Your limited edition posters have been incredibly successful. How does it feel seeing your work reproduced in this way?
It feels great to know that young people can afford to have my work on their walls, and I’m really happy about that.  That’s how I bought my first painting as a poster when I was young. I’ve never forgotten the thrill of it!

Looking forward, what does the year ahead hold?
Life I hope.  


No comments: