Monday, February 09, 2015

Self-publishing author 'astounded her crime thriller rejected by literary agents sells ONE MILLION copie

    Sheila Rodgers self-published published her first novel, under the pen name Rachel Abbott, in 2011
  • Sheila Rodgers decided to self-publish her novel Only The Innocent in 2011
  • The book and its sequels have sold a million copies in e-book form

Sheila Rodgers self-published published her first novel, under the pen name Rachel Abbott, in 2011
A self-published author was 'astounded' to discover her crime thrillers have sold a million copies after agents rejected her first efforts.

Sheila Rodgers's first novel Only The Innocent, written under the pen name Rachel Abbott, and its two sequels, have together sold a million copies - but the 62-year-old had thought she would be 'lucky' to sell 1,000.
The three e-books have been bestsellers on Amazon's Kindle store - and remain in the top 100.


'Nobody is more astounded than me,' she told The Sunday Times.
Ms Rodgers self-published Only The Innocent in 2011 - which were soon followed by The Black Road and Sleep Tight. Her latest self-published psychological thriller - Stranger Child - is out later this month. 
All four novels feature protagonist Detective Chief Inspector Tom Douglas and focus on relationships and crime. 
'Unlike the stereotype policeman, he's not a drunkard.
'He is divorced, but he's not bitter and twisted.' 

The author, who lives on Alderney with her husband, says on her website: 'For many years it was my ambition to write a book. 
'I wasn’t particularly bothered about publishing it – I just wanted to write it.'
She adds: 'But then – when it’s finished – what do you do with it? I was under pressure from my various readers to get it published, but I didn’t really have much heart for chasing agents and all that went with it.  
'I decided that as it’s just sitting on my computer, I may as well publish it for the Kindle. Easy, I thought!'


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2944387/Self-publishing-author-says-astounded-crime-thriller-rejected-literary-agents-sells-ONE-MILLION-copies.html#ixzz3RB5E3r76

No comments: