Monday, January 25, 2016

January 2016 Newsletter from the Michael King Writers' Centre

Michael King Writers' Centre Trust  Enewsletter
View from Executive Director's desk Jan 2016

MKWC Newsletter January 2016


View from my desk

When I look up from my laptop screen I never know if I will see a small yacht or a cruise ship; a laden container ship or the ferry docking and on rare occasions I can’t see across the harbour at all.
I joined the Michael King Writers’ Centre on 1st December last year. I am pleased and proud to be passed the torch from Karren Beanland who was instrumental in making the Centre what it is today. She has left a great legacy and is a hard act to follow.

During my first three pre-Christmas weeks at the Centre we launched Signals 4, welcomed a delegation from Shanghai, had a grass fire on the other side of the maunga which closed the access road – a young policeman would not let me walk the hundred metres to the Centre, plugged our ears for two days against pile-drivers replacing road barriers, hosted an Auckland Council heritage audit and I became aware of the geography of the Devonport peninsula – there is only one road in and out! Good old Lake Road.

We’ve lots coming up in 2016 which can read about below and we’ll update on the website and social media.

I hope you enjoy my first newsletter and I very much look forward to meeting many of you over the coming weeks at one of our events.
Ka Meechan
Executive Director

No comments: