Thursday, August 18, 2016

The F Word: Feminism in NZ literary festivals

The F Word: Feminism in NZ literary festivals

by Elizabeth Heritage - The Read - Booksellers NZ

This week, The Read investigates the F word: feminism. What does it mean? Why does it keep popping up at our literary festivals? What is its place in our publishing industry and book trade? We talk to booksellers, publishers, and literary festival programmers to get a sense of the place and function of feminism in Kiwi booky circles today.
In the interests of full disclosure, I should say before we start that I am a feminist - and also that this article does not necessarily represent the official views of Booksellers NZ. As well as being something I believe in and hold dear, feminism is also something that I find intellectually and culturally fascinating. So I jumped at the chance to work on this piece.

Almost immediately, it became clear to me that this was not going to be like the other dozen or so articles I’ve written for The Read. Some people who are usually keen to talk became silent, or defensive. Some left their workplace to ring me from their personal cellphones and insisted on anonymity. Some had so much to say that they generously submitted multi-page essays of thoughtful, passionate response to my questions; or emailed me several times with more comments to add. Many people surprised me

No comments: